Wednesday, September 13, 2006

It's Time...

I have substantial time to blog now so I'm going to put up my reflections on WKC and what I learned.

The topic of Women's Katoomba Convention for this year was "Jesus Uncut." We learned that for ages we've been looking at a 'cut' view of Jesus and was missing out on who the real Jesus is. About 35 women went from my church and we stayed in three houses. My house was quite nice and had all the younger women in it. On the Saturday night, we all had dinner in one of the houses together and played Celebrity Heads. It was so funny because some of the women had no idea what Celebrity Heads was and they had so much fun playing it. There was this whole girly-sleepover vibe going around and all the mothers were acting crazy. It was so funny. The weather was pretty bad... we were all freezing and it was raining but the tin shed was quite warm will all the bodies in it. It was also really good that the floor has been covered now... otherwise it would have been a huge mud pit. We heard 2 big talks from Jenny Salt, 2 big talks from Greta Gaut, a small talk from Susan Thorp and a small talk from Maxine Cook. Here's what I learned:

Jenny Salt - Talks on Matthew 8 & 9
-We can trust in God because he is in full control
-we don't have security on earth, but we have security in Jesus
-Jesus deals with our most pressing needs

Greta Gaut - Talks on Hebrews 4 & 12
-Because God sees all our sin, God is able to forgive all our sin.
-we can let go of guilt and forgive ourselves, because God has forgiven us
-we will stand before God in the last days, we need to draw near and hold fast to God now
-Jesus is the author, perfector and High Priest of our faith
-Submission and obedience to God's will is what is best for us. God does not make mistakes

Susan Thorp - Talk on Matthew 16:13-28
-We are saved in Christ, we can't bargain with our soul. nothing we do saves us
-Jesus offers the only true way to the only true life
-we need to give up our expectations of who we want Jesus to be

Maxine Cook - Talk on Matthew 6:1-18
-God looks at the heart, don't pray to be seen, it's ok to have 'ducky and horse-y' prayers
-what a friend we have in Jesus
-don't just hear the word, but be doers

A lot of the stuff wasn't new to me... but the biggest point I found to be so exciting was that because God sees all our sin, he is able to forgive it all, so Jesus' death is sufficient and just.

Over the whole weekend I don't think I slept much because me and Cler were in a room together and we always end up chatting till late. But it was a very good time. I think I want to listen to the talks again. I think I also got to know some of the other ladies better. We also sang some new songs. 'All of Creation' and 'Beautiful Saviour' were good ones. Also, 'Before the Throne of God Above' was given a whole new meaning after hearing the talks on Hebrews. I love it!

Now for some photos:

Me, Cler and Tanya Having a killer time


Geez... check out Cler's cheezy!


Tanya was having a great time!


I'm baffled by the awesomeness of the talks


Me and Cler being idiots with the blinding flash on my camera

From Car-O-Line

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey next time you see me, tell what the speaker meant by horse-y/duck-y prayers...(I forgot to ask you the other day...)

Jenfafa said...

I went to WKC this weekend - weather was lovely and I learnt so much - see my blog.
Glad to hear you had a good time. Weren't the talks great!?!
I saw leah from conference - she says hi :) she was asking after you.

xx

Jen