Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy 216th post!!!

I just been to Doug's blog and noticed that he is celebrating his 200th post (congratulations)... so I thought I'd check out where I was up to... turns out I missed celebrating my 200th post... but oh well. His blog also reminded me about something I've been trying to come to a decision about on Hillsong music.

Should evangelical churches use Hillsong music? The main argument I've heard, saying that we shouldn't is:
-By playing Hillsong music in our churches, we are supporting an organisation that preaches a false gospel.

But then I was thinking:
-how does this apply to secular music? music which has worldly views instead of heavenly views.

So... is using Hillsong music the same as buying an AC/DC cd?

I'm further confused by this topic because at Women's Katoomba Convention we sang a Hillsong song... and I have great respect for WKC (and KCC as a whole) and their Bible teaching.

From Car-O-Line

P.S.: WKC was really good... will post about it another time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaahh...yes....that topic. I once blogged about it (in fact, I was about your age when I did) and it caused a lot of strife.

I think it is a matter of Christian freedom. If someone says you can't sing it, that smells like legalism to me (which is different to saying you "shouldn't" sing it).

CleR said...

Mmm, good point Caz.

Often we sing songs because they have good lyrics/ words which we agree with (and also has a catchy tune - Disney anyone?)
And even though the lyrics are good and speak truthfully, the gospel they preach isn't right to us, which I agree - does show that we are supporting them. Hmmm...

But it's not the first time that KCC has used a Hillsong song at their conventions. I shall go and consult with others =)