Monday, June 05, 2006

Prac Day 1

Had my first full day of prac teaching today. I did visit the school for about an hour last friday.
The first part of the day was pretty boring. My supervising teacher was on exam supervision duty, so I followed her and we just walked up and down the aisles of the examination. So yeah... it gets really boring when you are doing it for like 4 hours. So I didn't stay there the whole time. I went to the staff room and looked at the music programmes. There is some good stuff in it. There are a lot of rock music topics as well as your classical/baroque/romantic music components. I copied all the good things that I thought I could use. My supervisor said that she would photocopy the whole programme (yr 7-12) for me.
Then after lunch I went and watched a yr 2 class. The girls were really cute. We sang this little song thing. OMGosh the girls there are so smart! Like they could do rhythmic dictation and sight-sing solfeggio stuff. Then I went and watched a yr 11 class, they were doing a listening task where they listened to a piece and discussed the duration and pitch in it. It was a small class of 3 people. They were good at identifying stuff. Sometimes some of the things they said I wouldn't have even been able to pick out by myself. So that was sorta interesting. My supervisor is really respected there so it's interesting to see how she acts around all the girls. It's a pretty casual feel... I can dig that.
Then we had rock band! It was really fun! There is a vocalist, drummer, violin, electric guitar, electric bass and keyboard. The piece they were doing was "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter. Basically what they do is have a jam session... and then they make suggestions and changes and improvements. It's really casual... and that makes it fun. Some of the girls weren't even music students but they were still really good. Next week I'm going to take the group. I'm trying to think of what song to do with them. I'll have to start listening to 2DAY FM again.
My supervisor was telling me something really funny. You see... she's getting married soon... and the girls at the school have been saying how they think that I am the person that will take over when my supervisor gets married... THEY ACTUALLY THINK I'M A REAL QUALIFIED TEACHER!!! I was quite flattered. So it will be fun teaching them. They think I'm old... yay!
I also found out that my supervisor's fiancee is Mr. Romeo... who did music prac teaching at penno high and taught my class. And he remembers me! How funny! Gosh so many connections.
So yes... I didn't do much... but I'm buggered... I'm going to sleep early. I have to go early tomorrow. Vocal group...
From Car-O-Line

1 comment:

Jenfafa said...

wow! Mr Romeo!!! - the teacher you are on with used to teach at cherrybrook! That's mad as!!

I liked mr Romeo!!!

J

glad ot hear it's going good -