Monday, September 05, 2005

dating, marriage and divorce.

I just came back from bible study. We were looking at Mark 10:1-12. I think I really needed this bible study. The passage is titled 'divorce' but as my old bible study leader told me... don't take notice of the headings. And it's a good thing too! Otherwise you would all be thinking that I'm interested in divorcing someone which is even weirder since I'm not even married.
What we looked at were the concerns of the people (in this case disciples and pharasees) and also the concerns of Jesus. What the people were interested in when they asked "is it ok to divorce" (paraphrase), was what the law said and how much they can get away with while still following the law. But Jesus looks at the heart... and tries to get them to think about the underlying purpose of marriage. Sometimes when we read the bible we think... "oh it doesn't say we can't do that in the bible so it must be ok to do it." But what is our motivation when we say things like this... we are trying to live our lives our own way while still trying to keep the 'law.' God is interested in our hearts and he wants us to have the same motivation as him when we do things. It brought up tough questions like 'why do we date?' and 'why do we get married... how does this fit into God's original intended plan?' Like I've read stuff about marriage and how it's about love and stuff and that God made man and woman to be companions, etc... but I can't help but think that it's a lot deeper than that... lol I'm prolly too young to understand!
from Car-O-Line

3 comments:

Jenfafa said...

sounds the interesting dood!!
We had a good bible study on Job the other night... very helpful

Saair said...

So what answer did you get??? Why do we date and marry??? I know at Summer camp it came up and the purpose of dating is marriage so if you aren't looking for a life partner theen you shouldn't really be dating. Apart fromt he fact that God made us to be companions, I don't remember hearing much about why we actually marry. I am quite interested though.

Unknown said...

hiyo car-o-line! :)
yeah it sounds incredibly interesting, and like sarah i am very curious + interested too! anyway, i hope you are doing well. :) *hugs* xox!!!!!!!!!!!